Disclaimer: Marvel Comics and 20th Century Fox own the X-Men. What's been done to them is copyright 2000 by Siubhan. This can only be archived with my express permission.

Dear Mom and Dad
by Siubhan
siubhan@siubhan.com

Posted 10/5/00

Thanks to Jedimom and Red Sith for nitpicks.


Dear Mom and Dad,

I know I haven't written to you in a couple of years, and I'm sorry. I ended up back on the streets again for a while. But I'm alive, which I'm sure you're relieved to hear. Even better, I'm off drugs. I'm even off methadone. And I'm not hurting anyone with my lights.

See, I got admitted to the hospital. Yes, I overdosed. But I'm fine. Anyhow, they recommended that I see this mutant doctor. They thought that maybe she could help me. She works mostly with kids at a private school outside the city, so I agreed to spend some time there with her in the hopes that she could help me.

And she did. I'm clean. Totally clean. And the lights ended up being easier to control than we realized. They made me lead-lined gloves. That's it. Lead-lined gloves. That does the trick. I know. There was no way for Doctor McPherson to know that, but still, I can't help but be angry that he didn't try something else before doping me.

But that's all in the past.

They've offered me a job at the school. I'm helping out with their computer system. You were right; computers are the perfect skill for someone like me. I don't have to deal with the kids, and I hardly have to deal with the adults. Don't get me wrong. They all treat me well. I'm still just not comfortable around people. I know you meant well, and I do appreciate that you wanted to hide me from ridicule and stares, but not meeting people when I was young has left me very uncomfortable meeting people as an adult.

But these are definitely good people, despite my discomfort. And there's one in particular that I'm really fond of. His name is Mortimer, and he's been very sweet to me. Like me, he's visibly mutated, so he knows a lot of what I've been through. He wasn't raised by his family, though. He was raised in an orphanage. From talking to him, I've learned just how much I have to be grateful to you for. There are times when he talks about his childhood when it's all I can do to keep from bursting into tears. People were terrible to him. Just terrible. But somehow he's managed not just to survive, but to be the sweetest human being I've ever known. He's awkward and shy, but he's got such a big heart. We've gotten close, and I hope we... You know how you were afraid I'd never meet anyone who could actually care about me as a woman and treat me with dignity? Well, I think I have. I'm not sure he feels the same way about me as I do about him, but I think he does. I hope he does. He's really been a gentleman, despite the fact that no one taught him how to be one. I think you'd like him. Hopefully, you'll get to meet him someday.

I don't think I'm ready to tell you where I am just yet. I want to make sure I can stay clean and keep my lights under control. They're actually teaching me how to use them. Can you believe that? I'm actually using them. They don't have to be destructive. I can make them not be harmful. And maybe, just maybe, they'll figure out how to teach me to shut them off without drugs. Once I'm sure I'm back on my feet, I'll give you the name and address of the place where I'm staying, and you can come up to visit. I'd love to see you again.

I wish the past eleven years hadn't been like this, but they were, and there's nothing I can do to undo them. But if they're really over, and I really am clean and under control, I'd love to see you both again. And my brother, if he's willing. I think I've finally got my addiction licked and my lights under control. I think you two can finally be proud of me.

I'll email again soon.

Love,
Shariya


 If you liked this, then email me: siubhan@siubhan.com. Feedback is the only payment I get for my stories, and the only way I know that I should keep writing.


Back to the Beneath the Harrow page
Back to the fanfic page
Back to the House of Horror